Thursday, May 7, 2009

Jacobs Interview- 3

The Jacobs are apart of the Johnsons Park Neighborhood Association and have lived in the neighborhood for over thirty years. They agreed to be interviewed for an archive of the neighborhood. They were the second residents to be interviewed. The interview took place on a Saturday early in April. This was the second interview I had attended so at this point I was two for two when it came to interviews. My dad had dropped me off and we had no trouble finding the house. I was carrying a lot of film equipment and rang the doorbell. Mrs. Jacobs came out of the side of the house and greeted me in and she asked whether my dad would like to come as he waited in the car. My dad did not come in and as I walked in Mr. Jacobs shook my hand and greeted me nicely. He soon learned that I was a quiet guy and said "Well, we'll get that fur coat off your tongue." I had never heard that saying before and its been something I immediately remember when thinking of that interview. As the interview went on we went down the list of questions to ask the Jacobs and they answered the questions. We learned that they were apart of the block watch and how long they had lived in the neighborhood. The Jacobs talked about the concerns they had when they were thinkng about moving into the neighborhood because it was not the best or safest neighborhood at the time. They shared their experiences within the neighborhood and how they have two daughters that live by and a son who lives in Las Vegas. The Jacobs shared positive and negative memories and what they thought about how the neighborhood had been in the past. They shared how happy they are of the new direction the neighborhood is headed. Another memory of the interview that just sticks out to me is when Mrs. Jacobs said that her favorite moment of living in the neighborhood was when they first came down to start digging into their land for their home. While the camera was on, everyone tried to get the interview done and and keep it professional but when the camera was off the Jacobs talked about how much they liked their energy saving bulbs even though they had a flat screen t.v. in the hanging off the wall. I learned that me and Mr. Jacobs had something in common, that we are both welders. The type of welding he talked about was far more advance then what I do but I was able to understand what he was talking about. We spent two hours there it and everyone had a good time. In the clip the Jacobs talk about buildings that use to be around the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers